HAND is an umbrella association of 13 Hungarian civil society organisations, engaged in international development, humanitarian aid and global citizenship education. HAND and its member organizations have worked together from 2003 in order to achieve that international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance become more effective, recognized and visible. Our goal is that both Hungarian decision makers and citizens take responsibility for preventing and solving global problems.
Finance Senior Manager
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the job holder is a member of HAND management team. The job holder oversees and supervises the overall financial operations, compliance, and the financial and operational aspects of grant and project administration of the organization. The job holder also oversees and leads development of, and implementation of relevant strategies, policies and procedures in the area of finance, operations and HR (including procurement, external providers and consultants).
The job holder is responsible for contributing to the HAND’s long-term fiscal health and sustainability by creation of the annual organization budget and adequate policies to monitor financial performance and effective allocation of resources.
The job holder oversees accounting operations, produces accurate reports on the allocation of financial resources, and improves or changes current practices to increase efficiency and accountability. The job holder is responsible for developing, setting and managing relevant organizational policies and liaising with external legal, audit and accounting providers.
Main tasks will be related to the project linked to the upcoming trio of the EU-Presidency, co-financed by the EU. More information:
The job holder applies their technical skills, education, experience and leadership in:
Overall Financial Management
- Regularly track financial performance, and oversee internal financial adjustments as necessary.
- Set up relevant and accurate processes, and conduct regular and consistent monitoring and reporting.
- Design, prepare and maintain regularly updated internal financial reports, cashflow charts, and the actual financial status across the organization.
- Analyze, maintain and manage cash flow and assets in different currencies, projects and bank accounts.
- Based on instructions from and in liaison with the ED lead the preparation of the draft annual organizational budget, and present the budget to and for approval by the board and General Assembly. Support ED in any revisions of the annual organizational budget.
- Liaise with HAND’s Board, and auditor(s) to prepare the annual and/or project audits
- Assure that adequate procedures are in place, supervise and assure that the finance and operation timely processes and reconciles payment of vendors, contractors and payroll and other obligations.
- Manage and supervise all HAND’s accounts, ensuring all supporting documentation required for payments have been received, prior to payment.
- Manage accounts and grant receivable including processing invoices, preparing cash requests and processing payment requests for grants, preparing and making deposits;
- Manage cash accounts including monthly bank, debit card and credit card reconciliations;
- Assure that adequate procedures are in place for procurement and collection of bids in line with financial procedures and policies, support finance staff and program staff in following the relevant policies.
- Inform ED of all financial developments of major significance (particularly adverse developments or risks) and ensure that the ED is made aware of all matters requiring a ED or board decision.
Financial Grants, Project and Events Management
- Liaise with program and development colleagues in preparing grant proposals by assuring all costs and expenditures are properly budgeted.
- Lead financial and budget planning for projects and events, including ongoing monitoring of projects’ and events’ budgets execution, and review of supporting documents for donor financial reporting.
- Lead preparation of financial reports to donors.
- Control and supervise procurements, invoices, contracts and financial supports to third parties related to projects, events and grants.
Compliance and Operations Management
- Maintain a schedule of internal organizational policies and procedures, and their regular updating and staff training.
- Monitor and identify compliance, and operational risks and propose a path to manage these in liaison with external providers, including pro bono legal counsel where applicable.
- Identify new ways to enhance HAND’s financial and operational performance and improve its effectiveness and to maintain effective and efficient operational systems and procedures.
- Inform ED of all operational or compliance developments of major significance (particularly adverse developments or risks) and ensure that the ED is made aware of all matters requiring an ED or board decision.
- Oversee preparation of the yearly public benefit report on behalf of HAND Association.
Experience and Skills
- At least 3-year professional experience in a similar position in Hungary.
- Fluent written and verbal skills in both English and Hungarian.
- Experience in financial management, budgeting and reporting in the civil sector.
- Familiar with requirements and able to comply with government and other donor funding requirements (EU, European Council, Visegrad Fund and others).
- Ability to work in a team but also to use own initiative, executive presence.
- Entrepreneurial, creative and opportunity-driven mindset
- Excellent ability to multitask, work well under pressure whilst maintaining a professional approach, meeting set deadlines while managing competing priorities
- Commitment with working with a value-based organization.
- Personal integrity and an ability to maintain the confidentiality of information
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including experience with prioritizing tasks
- Flexibility and the ability to work in a multicultural environment Experience in MS Office, strong knowledge of Excel in particular.
- Proficient in Google Apps (Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Spreadsheets);
- Completed studies in accounting, finance, business, economics or administration or experience in the role.
- Experience in working for an international civil society organization
- Strong interest in international development and global issues, is a plus
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish language are an advantage.
The job holder will be based in the HAND’s Office in Budapest, Hungary. The job holder is required to maintain the pace of work which may at times be high, and will need to manage several tasks simultaneously. The post will be full time 5 days (40 hours) a week. With an initial 2 months probationary period, a two year definite employment contract (under Hungarian labor law) is foreseen. There is a high chance of extending the contract, depending on the future availability of funds.
A hybrid arrangement of working from home and from the office is foreseen.
The work might involve some travel, essential to the implementation of HAND’s activities; it is not expected to be more than 5-10 days per year cumulatively. You should have, or be able to obtain permission to live and work in Hungary.
Salary: competitive salary within Hungarian NGO sector, depending on experience
How to Apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter in English detailing why you are interested in this position and how you meet the job qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Finance Senior Manager as the subject line. Additionally, fill out this application questionnaire in English.
Applications without both steps completed will not be reviewed.
Applications will be reviewed as received, and candidates interviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The first review of candidates is planned for the week starts on March 20. Only applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Informal inquiries can be made by contacting HAND Executive Director at email@example.com
The job-holder is expected to start in the position during April 2023.
By appliying for the position the candidate accepts the GDPR policy of HAND.