HAND is an umbrella association of 13 Hungarian civil society organisations, engaged in international development, humanitarian aid and global citizenship education. HAND and its member organizations have worked together from 2003 in order to achieve that international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance become more effective, recognized and visible. Our goal is that both Hungarian decision makers and citizens take responsibility for preventing and solving global problems.
The purpose of the job is to help a) HAND to achieve their aims and objectives by providing financial, admin and professional support to staff within HAND b) to ensure the smooth running of the HAND office and provide general administrative support.
Main tasks will be related to the project linked to the upcoming trio of the EU-Presidency, co-financed by the EU. More information:
Finance and administration support to the financial manager:
- record selected programmes financial entries in HAND’s administration, liaise with the accountant to ensure ledgers and invoices are recorded accurately.
- Enter payments onto the electronic banking system.
- Monitor, track and supply attendance information in order to generate payroll.
- Assist procurements and their administration according to HAND’s internal guidelines.
- Support preparation of financial reports to donors in liaison with the Finance Senior Manager.
- Administrative support for the Finance Senior Manager (including assistance for audit preparation and checking of partners’ financial reporting as needed).
Assistance to HAND staff:
- Assist in organizing project activities.
- Assist in travel arrangements and after travel administrative requirements
- Assist in additional different tasks
- To plan own work on a regular basis in consultation with the Project Managers and communicate with them in preparing work plans and delivery plans.
Undertakes such other tasks as may reasonably be requested by the Director or other senior staff from time to time. Attends relevant meetings. Provide cover for both administrative and finance staff.
Education and experience:
- Completed high school graduation
- At least 2-year professional experience in relevant field
- Strong IT knowledge (Microsoft Office, Google Workspace and online communication tools)
- Experience in using internet-based information systems, file sharing.
- Higher LEVEL Studies in accounting, finance, business, economics or administration or experience in the role.
- Knowledge of Hungarian accounting rules to some extent.
- Experience in accounting work involving different currencies.
- Required skills:
- Flexibility and the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize own work.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent inter-personal and communications skills.
- Commitment with working with a value-based organization.
- Good level written and verbal skills in both Hungarian and English.
- Team player.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Experience in MS Office, strong knowledge of Excel in particular.
The job holder will be based in HAND’s Office in Budapest, Hungary. The job holder is required to maintain the pace of work which may at times be high, and will need to manage several tasks simultaneously. The post will be preferably full time 5 days (40 hours) a week. Applications for part time (min. 20 hours a week) will also be considered. With an initial 2 months probationary period, a two year definite employment contract (under Hungarian labor law) is foreseen. There is a possibility of extending the contract, depending on the future availability of funds.
A hybrid arrangement of working from home and from the office is possible.
The work might involve some travel, essential to the implementation of HAND’s activities; it is not expected to be more than 5-10 days per year cumulatively. You should have, or be able to obtain permission to live and work in Hungary.
Salary: competitive salary within Hungarian NGO sector, depending on experience
How to Apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter in Hungarian or English detailing why you are interested in this position and how you meet the job qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “application for assistant position” as the subject line. Additionally, fill out this application questionnaire in English or Hungarian.
Applications will be reviewed as received, and candidates interviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The first review of candidates is planned for the week starts on March 20. Only applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Informal inquiries can be made by contacting HAND Executive Director at email@example.com
The job-holder is expected to start in the position during April 2023.
By applying for the position the candidate accepts the GDPR policy of HAND