Senior Finance Officer
Start date as soon as possible
Duration open ended employment contract
Salary Gross HUF 696.000
Place of work Budapest, Hungary
WHAT WE DO IN EUROPE AND HUNGARY
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency, founded in 1960. The Headquarters (HQ) are in Lausanne, Switzerland. We are committed to improving the lives of millions of the world's most vulnerable children. We are currently active in 30 countries (in Europe, Africa, Asia, Middle East and Latin America). In 2021, we directly supported 2 million children and members of their families and communities, and 3.1 million were indirectly supported. Our projects focus on child protection, mother and child health, migration, access to justice for children, and emergency relief.
More information on: https://www.tdh.ch/en
Terre des hommes opened its Regional Office/ Hub in Budapest in 2006. The Regional Hub develops and implements regional projects with partners across Europe. Our regional advisors provide support to colleagues in other countries in Europe – Albania, Kosovo, Greece, Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. One of our key projects for children in Hungary is the FabLab in Gyor. Child Protection Hub is an important regional project, led by the team in Budapest. ChildHub is the leading/ largest child protection community in Europe - https://childhub.org/en We also support people who fled the war in Ukraine and are transiting or take refuge in Hungary.
Currently Tdh Hungary has 30 staff members, 24 active projects and has close collaboration with nearly 20 partner organizations.
The Senior Finance Officer under the direct supervision of the Finance Administration and HR Manager, is responsible for the execution of financial and accounting tasks in order to meet legislative requirements and support operations at the delegation. S/he has the direct access to the confidential information, such as financial reports and data, budget of the delegation, bank statements, and is responsible to keep the records of the office accurately. A professional sense of security, confidentiality, and proper representation is paramount to the job profile.
- Ensures recording of entries (cash, bank and corrective transactions for the office and partners financial reporting), allocations of costs to different donors’ contracts
- Performs financial controls to ensure that all expenditures comply with donors’ guidelines and Tdh internal financial procedures
- Provides supports on budget follow-up
- Anticipates project needs and best practices in budget and financial matters
- Checks partners’ financial reports and controls the proper use of the funds
- Participates in preparation of draft financial reports
- Drafts budget proposals for fundraising projects in close collaboration with other team members
- Ensures preparation of staff cost calculation sheet and reconciliations of supporting documentations related to staff costs
- Participates in preparation of financial audits
- Collaborates on the capacity building of the partners (financial/admin trainings) based on the checks done on the partners books and supporting documents, tailors the checks depending on the risk evaluated for each partner
- Collaborates on statutory reporting tasks including communication with external advisors such as local accounting function, payroll, VAT and legal advisors
- Collects, checks invoices and support documents received from staff, prepares payment requests before transmitting
Education / Qualifications
High education in finance, economics, accounting
- Minimum of 3 year of previous experience in accounting and finances, ideally in non-governmental organization setup;
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting, budget monitoring and general ledger skills;
- Ability to respond to inquiries independently and follow-up on requests in an efficient manner. Manage high volume of work flow efficiently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and precision;
- Resourceful in gathering, verifying and analyzing financial data. Ability to interpret financial information and reports;
- Strong organizational, planning, prioritizing and administrative skills; ability to self-direct in a fast-paced, multi-task environment;
- Credible finance professional with strong interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively within a multidiscipline and multicultural environment.
- Successful track record of work with donors (Europe Aid, SDC, DFID; ECHO; UN; etc.) as an asset;
- High degree of confidentially;
Languages: Communicative oral and written skills in English and in Hungarian.
IT Knowledge: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel. Experience working with an automated accounting and finance software.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their CV and Motivation Letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Senior Finance Officer” and your full name in the subject line.
Please indicate in your Motivation Letter your earliest start date.
Short-listed candidates will be requested to complete a written test and participate in an interview.
The selected candidate will go through a reference check and criminal record check.
Child Safeguarding Policy:
Tdh staff members are committed to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy.